The approximate figures below are from the Seventh Statistical Report by the European Commission which covers data collected by 27 member states for 2011.
- Total number of animals used: 11,500,000
- Number of mice used: 7,010,400
- Number of rats used: 1,605,400
- Number of cold-blooded animals used: 1,434,050
- Number of birds used: 676,200
- Number of rabbits used: 358,800
A significant decrease has been observed in the number of animals used for testing … cosmetics and toiletries where the decrease is from 1,960 [for 2008] to 90 animals. This is important to highlight as there has been a testing ban in the EU for cosmetics and cosmetic ingredients in place since 2009 [my emphasis]. Quote taken from page eight of the report. So why were any animals used for cosmetics testing?