Number of tigers living in the wild: 3,200 (approximately).
Number of tigers being farmed in China: 5,000 to 6,000.
A tiger farm is a feed lot for tigers where they are bred like cattle for their parts to make luxury goods, such as tiger bone wine and tiger skin rugs.
Read Yale Environment 360 interview with wildlife activist Judith Mills.
The scenario (Alberta, Canada):
- the oil industry carves up Alberta’s boreal forest;
- the gas industry carves up Alberta’s boreal forest;
- the logging industry carves up Alberta’s boreal forest;
- the caribou is losing its habitat;
- three of the 18 caribou herds are at immediate risk of disappearing because of loss of habitat;
- six caribou herds are in decline;
- three caribou herds are stable; and
- not enough is known about the remaining six caribou herds to determine how well they are doing.
- how do we start to reverse the decline of the caribou?
Is it answer:
- restrict the oil, gas and logging industries, i.e. protect the caribou habitat?
- eradicate wolves?
Well, the answer is obviously number one yet the Alberta Government has chosen answer number two.
iStock. In the last five years, Alberta has spent more than $1 million poisoning wolves and shooting them from the air.
For the full story, please read environment360’s report Killing Wolves: A Product of Alberta’s Big Oil and Gas Boom.
The analysis The Crucial Role of Predators: A New Perspective on Ecology is also worth reading.